October 13, 2008

Your Tax Dollars At Work

Mr. P's playing with my phone. Phone is in locked position. Phone rings. I answer it & the following conversation ensues:

me: Hello?
Jenny: Hi, this is Jenny with 911 Emergency. Is everything OK?
me: (blushing) Oh my lands! Yes, I'm sorry. My son must have called you. Sorry.
Jenny: I thought it sounded like a baby calling. (??) No problem. Can I have your name so we can close the call? (My translation: Can I get your name so we can track you down, bill you for our expenses & put you on 'the list' in case your 'son' ever calls again.)
me: It's Jaime. And sorry again. I won't let my son play with my phone anymore.
Jenny: No problem. So you don't need any fire, medical, or police assistance, correct?
me: No. Sorry.
Jenny: No problem. Have a wonderful afternoon. (My translation: Have a great day busying up the phone lines that would otherwise be used to save the lives of victims all across Ogden. Supervise your kid, schmuck.)

Please tell me this is a relatively common occurrence. Other kids get a hold of locked phones, unlock them, call the authorities & hang up on them, right??! At least Mr. P wasn't crying or screaming in distress when she called back. DCFS will probably show up on my doorstep tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Um, Jaime. Our kids are related. Once Owen called 911 and the police showed up at our house. I felt really cool. But actually, they were really nice and gave the boys little police badge stickers too. YIKES! Glad it's not just us!

Sarah said...

That's awesome. At least if you're ever in need of actual help, you know that Porter has your back.

DaBudges said...

Oh man, that's awesome! I always knew he was smart. when I was just barely four, my idiot sperm donor left me home with my little sister who was only four months old, and I couldn't get her to stop crying, so I called 911(just like the red sticker on the mickey mouse phone said to do in an emergency) and the lady who answered told me everything to do to get Kell a bottle. I even remember climbing on the counter to get the bottle. She called my mom at work, who made a stupid excuse for Steve, and she came right home. The 911 lady called right when she walked in the door to make sure she had really come home. Needless to say, the red 911 stickers were removed, and I think Steve slept on the couch :D HaHa good times