October 09, 2008

Weekend in Review



I had a marvelous weekend this past week that might make for a bit of a long post, so bear with me here. Or just look at the pics. Whatever you choose. Mr P & I headed to St George with my parents, Lee & Lindsey (his cute new filly) on Friday morning & after failing to find the democratic headquarters, waiting for Lee to do some military business & lots of laughter in the car, we made it. The folks & Lee ran the marathon, making this my dad's 39th & my mom's 24th, always crossing the finish line hand in hand. Awww. Yes, kids, you read that right. By my calculations that means my dad has run over 1,021 miles & my mom over 628. That's just marathon miles, mind you. It doesn't include training, halves, 5k's etc. Just marathons. If they can run a combined total of over 1,600 miles, surely I can make it a mere 13.1, right? Let's hope so, because I really want to do a half next year. Wish me luck.
Anyhow, they all did great even with soggy shoes, clothes & hair because it rained the entire time. What troopers.


Later that day we drove into Zion for a scenic shuttle tour & hearty laughter followed by our traditional dinner at Pancho & Lefty's. Tasty.


Sunday we enjoyed Conference & dinner together before Cami, Lee & Lindsey headed home. I really like Conference, & this year was no exception. President Monson's talk really drove home to me how lucky I am to have Ty. As he was talking about enjoying the NOW I just kept thinking about how good Ty is at that. Every week we have fun little outings that help us remember to enjoy the journey, almost always instigated by my thoughtful other half. I just think Mr P is lucky to have a dad who loves life so much. I get in ruts where I become an unbelievable home-body, just waiting for the next 'big' event & he gives me that needed kick in the pants to get back out there & experience the beauty. The small & simple goodness that is life. So it was good. He is good. I need to remember that, especially now for Porter, because he relies on me to experience all that life has to offer, since he can't do it on his own yet.


Anyhow, Monday we took a (long) drive out to Turoweep to bask in the magnificence of the Grand Canyon. It was gorgeous weather & we took our time getting our fill of how amazing it is. Tuesday we ventured homeward by way of Zion & Bryce National Parks. We spent a bit of time in Zion & took a little hike that ends at an overlook where again, I was in complete awe of the sheer magnitude & beauty it offered. We met people who had traveled from all over the world to enjoy what is sitting in our own backyard. It was incredible. Bryce was much the same; I was almost overwhelmed at the expanse it covered & the contrast of the orange rock & the blue sky was, to say the least, picturesque. We decided that we will go back & spend some real time there appreciating more of what it has to offer. If you've never been I highly recommend it.


We got home pretty late Tuesday night & it was so good to be home, see Ty, sleep in my own bed & not be in a car anymore. It was definitely the longest dad & Mr P had been apart, so they were very excited to be reunited. It was such a good time with my parents, just talking & enjoying being family. They are really, honestly, truly the best. Thanks, ma & pa!!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Super times! I am so happy you got to go! And also jealous. So many good photos... Good job.

I love you so much!

Sarah said...

Your parents are so amazing with their marathoning.

I miss traveling around Southern Utah...so beautiful! What a fun trip.

Rachel said...

I second Sarah - your parents are amazing. Looks like you had a great weekend! I'm sad we missed seeing you all. Have you considered the half marathon in Moab? It's in March - I'm thinking of running it myself.

DaBudges said...

Looks like you had a blast. You're lucky to have such a fun, close family. and we saw that Tyler got a lot done while you were gone. tee hee. cute pics!

anjer said...

jaime - the salt lake marathon/half-marathon is in april - you can totally do it!

also, did you let porter sit on the edge of that cliff? it makes me nervous just looking at the photo!

Mrs B said...

Both good ideas for 1/2's in the spring. Thanks, gals! I'll be thinking about it & working on it.
And for anyone concerned, Mr P is in no danger on that cliff. He's actually not even on the cliff. Clever eh? Scared Tyler pretty bad too, but please know I'm truly a responsible mother who would not put her kid on a cliff.