August 13, 2008

Grateful

Let me begin by saying that Porter's episode with the cooking oil last week was just the beginning. He is getting so curious & has so much energy that there are days when I just don't know if I can make it until bedtime without collapsing. Don't get me wrong; Porter isn't a naughty boy. In fact, just the opposite. He's very happy & complacent the majority of the time & for that I'm eternally grateful. He just has a lot more to see & experience on a daily basis than I. But I am always reminded of what my mom says about little kids, that they are seeing, hearing, tasting etc. everything for the first time, & life in general is a new & exciting experience to them. And that idea gives me a lot more patience as well as my own newfound excitement to be able to be the one to help Porter gain all these new experiences on a daily basis.

Having said that, today has been one of 'those days.' I cannot seem to keep Porter entertained with anything for very long, & we are still working on the inside voice/outside voice concept. So, we took another walk to get us both out into the fresh (hot) air. It seemed to be a particularly calming walk, the flowers seemed a little brighter & the birds more cheerful. It was just what we needed. On our way we came across a mother & son also out walking, grins on their faces, enjoying the fresh air & one another's company. He was maybe seven, and an absolutely beautiful child. Though I was on the opposite side of the street his laughter & sweet, happy voice carried well & I picked up a bit of their conversation.

Though they too seemed to be enjoying the sun, the clear skies & the beautiful views of the mountains, they had a greater purpose. This little boy had braces on his legs & walked with obvious strain, holding tightly to his mother's hand for strength, steadiness & support, with arms that bent at awkward & unnatural angles. I heard her encouraging words as they reached their target destination & decided they were going to venture even further. I cried behind my sunglasses as I heard her tell him how proud she was of him for working so hard, even when those braces hurt & she knew he was too tired to try anymore. She told him that she had always known the day would come when he'd make it this far.

It was about then that our paths parted, but I had heard what I needed to hear. As I rounded the corner I stopped, almost instictively & kissed the top of my son's perfect head. How much I have taken for granted has been running through my head all day, with no sign of relenting. I have so much to be grateful for, & it's a never-ending battle because every day there is something new to add to the list. So let me say it here. I AM GRATEFUL. On so many levels & for so many things & so many people. I guess I need to be reminded periodically that it's a good thing that Porter can get around so well, & give me a run for my money. I am grateful to that little boy today who unknowingly gave me that gentle reminder. I now have one more person to include in my prayers.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet moment. I am always in need of reminders to be grateful for what I have! And grateful for good examples all around me of the many ways we can find happiness.

anjer said...

yah-made, me cry.

love you!