November 14, 2009

He's Proud to be an American.



My elder brother Andrew embarked on quite an adventure last week. He joined the military reserves. Marines, I think. He'll be gone for 10 weeks, home for Christmas & then gone again for upwards of 6 months before it becomes just a monthly weekend thing. I can't imagine the thought process he went through in arriving at the decision to do this, but I am dang proud of him for wanting to serve his country & do his part in making it a better place to raise my kids. He is much braver than I. It's pretty scary & I can't begin to know what's in store for Kate as a single mom for the next while, but I am grateful for those that choose to sacrifice for all of us. His letters make me really glad I'm not there-- all the yelling, running, push-ups, swearing in your face, pull-ups & late night guard duty make me really happy to be comfy at home. It's a good thing he's much tougher than I am, cuz I'm pretty sure I'd be curled up in the fetal position crying! But perhaps this is a just a little payback for all the times he was mean to me when we were younger. Haha!! Just kidding. Good luck, brother. See you in a while.... Glad we got some good family pics before you left!

No comments: