July 14, 2008

Muddy Waters


This weekend marked a turn of events in my life. I'm no longer super scared about the prospect of water going up my nose. Though it's still not one of the pleasantries I enjoy in life, I have come to the realization that it's most likely not going to maim me permanently. Unfortunately I cannot shorten my list of fears. The afore-mentioned phobia was replaced by the fear of knocking my teeth out. And I have dreamed about losing teeth for several nights now.
Let me explain. Friday night Ty took me to Willard Bay in an attempt to teach me how to ride a jet ski. Though I never fully stood up I was rather proud of myself for giving it a real go & yes, letting water rush up my nose & into my brain several times. Those of you who know me well know that this was no easy feat, but I wanted to impress Ty with my beginner's skill & daring. Nice try. We stayed for an hour or two which was long enough for me to rub my knees raw, work my lacking arm muscles to the point of exhaustion & run my ski out of gas, forcing me to tow it what seemed like miles back to the marina. Whew. If that doesn't tone your arms then I give up. And though I did get over the water up the nose issue, I began to envision myself trying to stand, hitting a wave, flying into the air, landing on my face on top of the jet ski & leaving Porter with a toothless mother. All in very great detail. Needless to say, I began to lose my nerve & called it a night.
The adventure didn't end there. On Saturday Brooke, Jason, Andy, Kate & every cute kid attached met us at Willard Bay for a day of sun, mud fighting, snacks, jet skiing & all around good times, despite the unattractiveness of Willard's water. My plan was to get familiar with the jet ski on Friday so I could get out there Saturday, stand right up & wow everyone with my abilities. Which I did not do. I took one lap out & by the time I passed the 'no wake zone' my knees were burning so badly I had to turn right back around & hang my head in shame. Perhaps next time. Raw knees & the inability to raise my arms above my head the next day aside, it was a splendid day. It's always great to spend some time with Brooke & Kate chit-chatting about anything & everything.
We completed the day with an delicious meal at Maddox, complete with coconut cream pie, which was a sweet ending to a sweet day. Awww.... For those of you thinking about going to Maddox you might want to check if they have a dress code. They may have implemented one because of us.
Thanks everyone! Let's get together again soon! What do you say about Oregon in say, 2 weeks?!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

It was such a great day! And yes, I'm looking forward to many great days in Oregon. Do you think Mo's has any good coconut cream pie???

Sara said...

Mmm... I could go for some coconut cream pie! I share your (old) phobia of water going up my nose- I can't even swim without using one hand to plug my nose. so really, i can't even swim.