January 19, 2010

Merry Christmas 2009.


Christmas is a ridiculously spectacular time for me-- always has been, but it seems the older I get the more I realize how much so. My parents have been incredible with this holiday my entire life. I remember being young & being expected to choose 1 present to take to show grandparents & just pouring over the decision for what seemed like hours until it was time to load up & head out. We were not completely overwhelmed with gifts- they were plentiful, yes, but the incredible thing was that every gift was perfect- exactly what I'd been dreaming of virtually all year! My parents' thoughtfulness has always been above & beyond.
And now, as I'm in the shoes of a parent myself, I realize what a task that must have been with 5 kids!
The other notable thing about the way I was raised was knowing Christmas wasn't about Santa. The focus of Christmas is Christ, & through service, family time & generosity my parents ingrained that in me. The more years that pass, the more I recognize just how much my parents not only believe this, but live this in every facet of their lives. This year especially so, as we spent the month before Christmas saying goodbye to my sweet grandma & yet, their service did not fall along the wayside. How grateful I am for their examples as I begin the journey with my own child...
The holidays have become even more magical the last couple of years, watching my offspring as his eyes light up at the sight of lights, the story of Baby Jesus, & the opening of gifts. I keep hearing that every year gets even more fun, & frankly, I'm soo excited! I don't know how it can get any more fun but I'm excited to see it!
So, nearly a month past, I wish you all the happiest of holidays & the warmth & love of Christmas with you all year long. As always, it was over too soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha :P LOVE the outfits! It made me smile :) Glad to hear what you've been up to :)

DaBudges said...

holy cow! That is one SEXY leotard! grrr :D Christmas is too fun to ever end. Bub told me the other day that he was sad because he misses Christmas :D