February 20, 2012

My Brother, the Soldier.

My older brother joined the Army Reserves a while back & just left for his first (& let's hope last) deployment to Afghanistan.  I don't like that at all.  Suddenly this war that up until now has just been headlines in a foreign place is really close to home.  We were able to go up & have a little going away party before he left, which included dancing to Michael Jackson, dressing up like superheroes & lots of tasty grub.  My nephew Jackson's entire 3rd grade class walked up to their house that day, brought this poster & sang some patriotic songs to wish him luck & thank him for his service.  Not surprising, but I get emotional just thinking about it.  I'm proud of my brother for his service to our country.


 We spent a good part of the day at the airport the day Andy flew out, & were even able to take him to the gate & hang out right up until he boarded the plane.  Holy moly, that was a little brutal, but I am so grateful for that time.    I'd be lying if I didn't admit I think he's a little crazy, but I really am proud of him.  I can't imagine the amount of courage it took for him to walk onto that airplane. Whew.  Say a little prayer for his little family while he's gone, if you wouldn't mind.
Now that the majority of my immediate family is scattered abroad, I'm more or less counting down the days until we pick each of them up at the airport.  There are going to be some serious parties coming up...

2 comments:

emily ballard said...

What a great brother you have. And so neat that your nephew's class did that for him before he left.

Sure makes me thankful to live in such a technologically advanced world. My grandpa volunteered as a doctor in WWII. I can't imagine how disconnected from the world you would feel with letters as your only form of communication.

Brooke said...

Gorgeous post. Love all your photos. xxoo