January 02, 2009

I Resolve.

I'm not a huge fan of big lists of New Year's resolutions, & this year is no exception. I'm not promising to exercise every day, double my scripture study time or organize all my pictures. I mean, I gotta be realistic here. But I do resolve to do what I can every day to be a better me. That means me as a better woman, mom, wife, primary teacher, sister, friend, daughter, person, example & all the other roles I might hold. That may seem like a large bite to chew, but I think every day is a new chance to work on this & improve myself.

The start of a new calendar isn't going to be any more important to me than the start of a new day. Heaven knows I falter daily, but who doesn't? Right? Life is a process, not an event & the past & mistakes therein are just that. The past. I can't change them, nor can you, which means the only thing to be done with them is to use them as stepping stones to the place we are working toward in this life.

I have set one goal for myself that is possibly the biggest I have ever attempted. Drumroll please... The completion of a half marathon. I know I've mentioned this before, & part of me is questioning my sanity in calling attention to it again. But I'm counting on the idea that the more people who know about this, the more prodding I'll get to achieve it. And on that note, the more embarrassment I'll get if I don't accomplish it. So help me out here, eh? It's not just the idea of a goal for the goal's sake, losing weight or the consequential bragging rights. It's about becoming the best me I can be & that includes physically so that I can have the health to best fill all the roles I have for a long time to come.

Happy New Year. 2009's going to be great.

2 comments:

Erin Gong said...

I've had similar feelings about new year's resolutions, but I still do them...

Good luck with the marathon!

Brien said...

Wise words! Good luck with the marathon!